About the Rising Star Award
In 2014, the Rising Star Award was created to encourage and award exceptional accomplishments of high school students who are current Housing Authority of the City of High Point (HPHA) program participants. This award is intended to recognize an emerging leader whose record reflects ongoing and exceptional growth in academics, leadership and community responsibility.
The Rising Star Award is an extension of the Pillars of Fame Award that was established in 2005. The Pillars of Fame was modeled after the Wall of Fame in Columbia, South Carolina. The Housing Authority of the City of High Point has always been concerned for the well-being of youth in our communities and wanted a way to present positive, encouraging images and role models.
To see past Rising Star honorees, click here.
The Rising Star Award nominees should meet the following criteria:
- Must be a current junior or senior high school student or 2018 high school graduate and HPHA program participant
- Must have a 3.5 or higher GPA (NOTE: HPHA may accept 3.0 GPA if no 3.5 GPA nominations are received);
- Must provide documentation to include previous year’s year-end report card AND most recent report card; two (2) letters of recommendation from teacher, principal or other high school faculty member (NOTE: letters from relatives are unacceptable); proof of extra-curriculum activities; and proof of community service involvement;
Must provide a response to one (1) of the following essay questions in 250 – 500 words:
- Why is it important to have a strong community, what would you change about your community and how would you go about implementing that change?
- What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem? Why?
- Must consent to be interviewed by the selection committee if additional information is required;
- Must commit to attend the induction ceremony; and
- Must agree to periodically dedicate time and effort to the High Point community by serving as a role model to present and future HPHA program participants.
NOTE: Current HPHA employees and/or Commissioners and their immediate family members are ineligible for consideration.
All nominations must follow the listed criteria and contain the requested information:
- Nominees may nominate themselves or be nominated.
- There is no nomination fee.
Please submit required criteria in the following order:
- All nominations must be submitted in a three-ring binder or notebook with a clear plastic cover on the front.
- The Rising Star Award nomination form should be first in the notebook followed by the eligibility documentation.
- Sections should be divided by tabs.
- Include any certificates, awards and/or additional materials about the applicant.
- Front outside plastic cover should contain a sheet of paper with the applicant’s name and a 5" x 7" or 8" x 10" professional photograph of the applicant. (include a disc with a digital picture in high resolution, minimum 150dpi - 300 dpi, to be used for publication, if selected.)