Friday, May 24, 2024
Home  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Employee Email


If you are a current participant in High Point Housing Authority’s (HPHA) Housing Choice Voucher program, you may transfer your assistance outside of HPHA’s jurisdiction as long as there is another agency operating a voucher program covering the location to which you are moving. When you request portability, we will brief you on the process and advise you how to contact and request assistance from the other agency.  We will notify the agency of your intention and mail or fax the required portability documentation. Your bedroom size and payment standard will be determined by the receiving agency.

If you have a Housing Choice Voucher and would like to move to High Point, your first step is to inform your current housing authority that you would like to relocate to our jurisdiction. When you or your housing authority contacts HPHA regarding your move, we will inform your housing authority if we will bill for the assistance paid on your behalf or if you will be absorbed into our voucher program. Please contact HPHA in regards as to whether we are billing or absorbing.

Portability documentation should be sent to the attention of:

Housing Authority of the City of High Point
ATTN: Portability
500 E. Russell Avenue
High Point, NC 27260
(336) 887-2661

Once the portability documentation has been received, you will be called to be scheduled for a portability briefing where you will be issued a voucher. You must provide original documents with you; faxed copies will not be accepted. All household members 18 of age and older must attend the briefing to sign the necessary documents.

HPHA will determine your family bedroom size based on our subsidy standards and rent limit will be based on our payment standards. Your maximum rent limit will be determined at the time of your briefing appointment and rent limits are based on family income.

HPHA’s current payment standards are as follows:

  • 0 Bedroom - $938
  • 1 Bedroom - $966
  • 2 Bedroom - $1,091
  • 3 Bedroom - $1,406
  • 4 Bedroom - $1,577
  • 5 Bedroom - $1,813

Once all documents are provided, HPHA will calculate your income and issue you a voucher. You may then begin your search for housing and submit a Request for Tenancy Approval during the term of the voucher issued by HPHA. Your voucher in High Point will expire at the same time as the voucher issued by your original housing authority. HPHA will grant voucher extensions with permission from your original housing authority.